Hearthstone's research division has been studying the effects of environment on the management and treatment of Alzheimer's Disease for over thirty years. Listed below are some of these works.
Articles available as PDF downloads:
• Environmental Correlates to Behavioral Outcomes in Alzheimer's Special Care Units, with Nina M. Silverstein,
Joan Hyde, Sue Levkoff, M. Powell Lawton, & William Holmes, The Gerontologist, November, 2003. > click here to view
• Non-pharmacological Treatment for Alzheimer's Disease: a mind-brain approach with Paul Raia, American Journal of Alzheimer's Disease and Other Dementias Volume 15, No. 6, November -December 2000; abstract published in The Journal of Neuropsychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences, Volume 12, No. 1, Winter 2000. > click here to view
• Midrise Elevator Housing for Older People, Zeisel, John; Welch, Polly; Epp, Gayle & Demos, Stephen,
U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development 1983
• Designed for Families: A Summary of Research, Zeisel, John & Welch, Polly Housing, Building Diagnostics 1981
• Best Practices: An Environment-Behavior Model for Alzheimer Special Care Units, Zeisel, John, Joan Hyde, et al, American Journal of Alzheimer Care 1994.
• Environmental Design as an Alzheimer Treatment: Preserving Quality of Life in Advanced Dementia, Zeisel, John,
Joan Hyde, et al, Brunner/Mazel 1999.
• Inquiry by Design: Tools for Environment-Behavior Research, Zeisel, John, Press Syndicate of the University of Cambridge 1981
• Low-Rise Housing for Older People: Behavioral Criteria for Design, Zeisel, John, U.S. Government Printing Office 1977
• Independence through Interdependence: Congregate Living for Older People, Welch, Polly; Parker, Valerie; and
Zeisel, John, Reprographics 1984